Sunday 16 February 2014

Viaduct WL Round 3 - All the gear no idea

Right,  a lot of people have a bad day and they decide not to write much on their blog just because it doesn't make good reading I suppose, well I am going to tell people exactly how I caught very little and how I messed up a peg I fancied for a few fish.

Ok so after doing a fair bit of prep Saturday night which involved making sure my two waggler and two tip rods were set up, few hooklengths, some silvers and carp rigs and finally my groundbait mixed and sieved and meat and bread all ready punched etc, I turned up at the draw hoping for a round 10 pegs I fancied on spring/middle lake as this was my section today. The pegs I wanted were , 8,13,15 - 19,24,25 and 37,38 so when the ginger prince came back with 24 I was rather happy to say the least even though this peg gave us a rather bad team draw. With our team second in the league going in today pegs,130,99,69,50,24 we thought this could be are poor week (this happened to be the case).

I got to my peg and it just looked rather sexy as picture shows


I set up a Waggler and lead rod for casting tight to the end of the over hanging tree, 14.5m gb line, 6m caster line and a 7m rig for down the edge. My Plan was to feed my gb line with 4 balls with casters and my edge with some hemp and casters then fish the waggler / lead for 2 odd hours catching carp then coming on my gb line to catch some skimmers. To cut a very long story short my plan went majorly wrong. 30 mins on lead with bread or meat on hook resulted in 1 massive line bite which I thought it had to be a carp on but nope so I then decided to switch onto the waggler rod, first cast with some punched 8mm meat and 2 minutes in resulted in a cracking bite which again I missed. Next cast resulted in another missed bite (I am shite) 25 mins later and yep I had another bite which this time I hooked a 1lb skimmer, O my plan was seriously going pete tong as peg 21 had 2 carp, Gary O Bunghole Shea had 2 on 16 and peg 8 had 1. Bobby G next to me on 25 had a bout 3lb of silvers at this point so not to far behind. I decided to give my short line a go for 10 mins which I probably had about 1lb of roach but wasn't going anywhere fast so went down the edge but still no go. Back onto the lead and waggler but nothing so 2 and half hours in and I had about 2lb, Maybe I will go on the 14.5m line and start catching 2lb skimmers one a bung, ummmmmm na this wasn't the case but bob was. (what the hell am I doing wrong) Gave this line about an hour and I had a few 2oz skimmers and 2 hydrids about 12 oz so maybe had 4lb  and now bob probably had 14lb. I wasn't that worried as only a few people had carp well that's when I looked up and people like Mark Brennan, Fred Roberts and the bloke on peg 13 all playing carp., shite I better look for a carp down edge. I shipped in 4 dead reads like timmy rowe said and christ I had a bite straight away but you all probably guessed it I missed it, then I missed another and then another. Bob starting giving me some banter and I knew it had to be roach because if it was carp not even I could miss bites that positive. I decide to take 1 red off and a bite straight away followed by a 2 oz roach trying to pull my 13 hollow out. See Bob I knew it was them. A couple more roach so then I decide to go back on the long pole again to which I caught a few more skimmers and I did lose a fish that could of been a 2lber.  20Mins left and I decide I need a carp so I sit down the edge to which bob shouts hahaha matt steve on 26 has a carp on, your going to be last in section today. I was not amused so with some meat on I waited for not a bite. ALL OUT (GOOD).

I weighed in a massive 6lb 13oz for 6 points, my previous two times on this peg recently I had 24lb and 19lb of silvers. I guess I just messed the peg up by not just sitting on the roach when I could of probably caught 10-15lb of them. Carp just mess your brain up. Bobby had 22lb of skimmers, fair play but we did both use same gb and hook baits so I am guessing he is just better lol. Dave White won our section off peg 38 fishing 8mm meat on the lead and waggler. He had 41 lb of carp and 31 lb of skimmers. This was good enough for 5th overall and 1st in the silvers. Some coin for that chap then. Well Done mate. Shaun Townsend had 3 bites off peg 21 for 45lb but Spring did fish rather hard today.

The Match was won by Somerset Angling's Legend Steve Kedge off peg 125 with 167lb I think. Campbell fished it's tits off with 4 tons. Team wise we had a lowly 50 points. I think Des Shipp should draw next match as he is king bunghole himself. We are now 5th overall in the league but we must get a good draw soon, the PI Thatchers OAP's, Somerset Angling and Team Amigo's can't hog them for all the matches.

I may go out next weekend but if not good luck and tight lines to whoever does.


No comments:

Post a Comment